Egypt Muslim-Christian clashes leave one dead
Cairo: Egyptian security officials say clashes between Muslims and Christians in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria left one man dead of a heart attack.
Officials say the clashes in the city`s el-Dekheila suburb erupted when a Coptic man allegedly sexually harassed a Muslim woman.
Residents of the area fired birdshot and threw Molotov cocktails at one another during the Friday night fighting.
Police say Christian resident Sherif Sedky died of a heart attack during the clashes. Police forces were beefed up around the local church Saturday in case of further violence.
Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to brief the media.
Coptic Christians make up about 10 percent of Egypt`s population. Sectarian violence has been on the rise in Egypt over the past two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states
- Subhash Chandra steps down as chairman of Zee Media