Egypt Muslim-Christian clashes leave one dead
Cairo: Egyptian security officials say clashes between Muslims and Christians in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria left one man dead of a heart attack.
Officials say the clashes in the city`s el-Dekheila suburb erupted when a Coptic man allegedly sexually harassed a Muslim woman.
Residents of the area fired birdshot and threw Molotov cocktails at one another during the Friday night fighting.
Police say Christian resident Sherif Sedky died of a heart attack during the clashes. Police forces were beefed up around the local church Saturday in case of further violence.
Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to brief the media.
Coptic Christians make up about 10 percent of Egypt`s population. Sectarian violence has been on the rise in Egypt over the past two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Stars set to spread Bollywood fever in Spain during IIFA
- Nirbhaya-like rape case jolts Bihar; pistol inserted in 21-year-old victim's private parts
- Bond girl Caterina Murino all set to take Bollywood by storm with Rajeev Khandelwal's 'Fever'!
- Punjab PMET results 2016 (bfuhs.ac.in) declared; Lovish Gupta of Faridkot tops PMET
- Twitter selling its NFL ad spots for over $50 million