Egypt official says no changes to transition plan
Cairo: The spokesman for Egypt`s interim president says not a "single step" will be changed in the military-backed political road map announced when the army ousted the nation`s Islamist leader a month ago.
Ahmed al-Muslemani`s statement today appeared designed to debunk speculation that a series of recent visits by Western and Arab diplomats to Cairo are likely to persuade Egypt`s interim government to offer any substantive concessions to supporters of deposed President Mohammed Morsi in return for the end to their main sit-in protests.
The road map calls for amending or replacing an Islamist-backed constitution adopted in 2012. It also envisages parliamentary and presidential elections early in 2014. Al-Muslemani also ruled out holding a referendum on the road map.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources