Egypt officials arrest activist, storm center
Cairo: Egypt`s official news agency and a human rights lawyer say security forces have arrested a prominent activist and raided a rights center.
MENA says Mohammed Adel of April 6, one of youth movements that led the 2011 uprising against autocrat President Hosni Mubarak, was arrested today.
Lawyer Gamal Eid says authorities seized Adel and five others from The Egyptian Center for Economic and Social Rights in Cairo, while also taking computers there.
After seven hours in an unknown location, Eid says the five were taken to a police station and were released while Adel remains in police custody.
Eid says security officers pushed a gun inside the mouth of one of five during their detention to make him be quiet and beat up another.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire