Egypt on edge after deadly sectarian clashes
Cairo: Egypt was on edge on Monday after a night of sporadic violence outside Cairo`s Coptic cathedral which had come under attack by police and armed civilians following funeral prayers for four Christians.
Calm was restored to the central neighbourhood of Abbassiya where police deployed in force outside St Mark`s cathedral, and where several Copts were still gathered on Monday morning.
One person was killed and more than 80 injured in Sunday`s violence, which erupted after mourners were pelted with stones as they left the cathedral, a security official told a news agency.
Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim inspected the scene of the clashes overnight, an official said.
On Sunday, live television footage showed police firing tear gas at the cathedral, symbol of the Coptic community which has long complained of discrimination and marginalisation.
The bloodshed underscores simmering hostility that has regularly seen violence between President Mohamed Morsi`s main Islamist allies and a broad opposition. It also highlights sectarian tensions brewing for years.
Christians form between six and 10 percent of Egypt`s population of nearly 83 million people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM