Egypt opposition threatens to boycott parliamentary polls
Cairo: Egypt`s main opposition coalition, the National Salvation Front (NSF), today said it would boycott upcoming parliamentary elections unless its demand of a "comprehensive solution" to the country`s crisis are met by President Mohammed Morsi.
In a statement released today, the coalition said, "The NSF has decided not to run in the parliamentary elections unless a comprehensive solution is reached."
The NSF condemned the deaths in the clashes in Port Said , holding the president responsible for the excessive violence used by security forces against protesters, demanding that a neutral investigative committee be formed to punish those responsible for the bloodshed.
It also called upon Egyptians to continue their peaceful protests.
The front has demanded the formation of a national salvation government that ensures efficiency and credibility that will implement the demands of the revolution, according to the statement.
The front also demanded the formation of neutral legal committee to amend the "distorted" constitution and to reach a consensus on articles that need to be changed immediately.
It also wants a withdrawal of the "tyrannical" constitutional declaration and sacking of the prosecutor general appointed by Morsi.
The NSF further wants the Muslim Brotherhood group should be subject to the law after being a main element in the country`s administration for almost a year with no legal or legitimate foundation, the statement said.
The coalition stressed that if the "legitimate" demands were not met in the coming days, the front would call on Egyptians to peacefully protest next Friday to topple the "invalid" constitution and to readopt temporarily the 1971 Constitution.
The front further demanded that an early date be set for new presidential elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack