Egypt opposition threatens to boycott parliamentary polls
Cairo: Egypt`s main opposition coalition, the National Salvation Front (NSF), today said it would boycott upcoming parliamentary elections unless its demand of a "comprehensive solution" to the country`s crisis are met by President Mohammed Morsi.
In a statement released today, the coalition said, "The NSF has decided not to run in the parliamentary elections unless a comprehensive solution is reached."
The NSF condemned the deaths in the clashes in Port Said , holding the president responsible for the excessive violence used by security forces against protesters, demanding that a neutral investigative committee be formed to punish those responsible for the bloodshed.
It also called upon Egyptians to continue their peaceful protests.
The front has demanded the formation of a national salvation government that ensures efficiency and credibility that will implement the demands of the revolution, according to the statement.
The front also demanded the formation of neutral legal committee to amend the "distorted" constitution and to reach a consensus on articles that need to be changed immediately.
It also wants a withdrawal of the "tyrannical" constitutional declaration and sacking of the prosecutor general appointed by Morsi.
The NSF further wants the Muslim Brotherhood group should be subject to the law after being a main element in the country`s administration for almost a year with no legal or legitimate foundation, the statement said.
The coalition stressed that if the "legitimate" demands were not met in the coming days, the front would call on Egyptians to peacefully protest next Friday to topple the "invalid" constitution and to readopt temporarily the 1971 Constitution.
The front further demanded that an early date be set for new presidential elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed