Egypt opposition threatens to boycott parliamentary polls
Cairo: Egypt`s main opposition coalition, the National Salvation Front (NSF), today said it would boycott upcoming parliamentary elections unless its demand of a "comprehensive solution" to the country`s crisis are met by President Mohammed Morsi.
In a statement released today, the coalition said, "The NSF has decided not to run in the parliamentary elections unless a comprehensive solution is reached."
The NSF condemned the deaths in the clashes in Port Said , holding the president responsible for the excessive violence used by security forces against protesters, demanding that a neutral investigative committee be formed to punish those responsible for the bloodshed.
It also called upon Egyptians to continue their peaceful protests.
The front has demanded the formation of a national salvation government that ensures efficiency and credibility that will implement the demands of the revolution, according to the statement.
The front also demanded the formation of neutral legal committee to amend the "distorted" constitution and to reach a consensus on articles that need to be changed immediately.
It also wants a withdrawal of the "tyrannical" constitutional declaration and sacking of the prosecutor general appointed by Morsi.
The NSF further wants the Muslim Brotherhood group should be subject to the law after being a main element in the country`s administration for almost a year with no legal or legitimate foundation, the statement said.
The coalition stressed that if the "legitimate" demands were not met in the coming days, the front would call on Egyptians to peacefully protest next Friday to topple the "invalid" constitution and to readopt temporarily the 1971 Constitution.
The front further demanded that an early date be set for new presidential elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt