Egypt parliament admonishes MP for his remarks to shoot protesters
Cairo: Egyptian Parliament on Wednesday
admonished an MP of President Hosni Mubarak`s party for his
recent statement that opposition activists should be shot.
The People`s Assembly Constitutional and Legislative
Committee admonished MP Nashaat Qasas saying: "What Qasas had
said was a mistake unbecoming of an elected MP whose job is to
protect and defend people`s rights and freedoms."
"Qasas` statements were an insult to the Parliament,"
Assembly said in a statement it released after listening to a
recorded tape of the fiery statement which Qasas had made at a
joint meeting of the parliamentary defence and human rights
committee a few days ago.
The committee met today under Speaker Fathi Sorour
to discuss the matter and see to the proper action that should
be taken against the MP, who is a member of the ruling
National Democratic Party.
The committee expressed regret "to see such crass
statements which contradict the Constitution and the law come
from an MP".
The committee said that Qasas should be strongly
reproached for his seeming carelessness about and disrespect
of public liberties and rights.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India