Egypt permanently opens Gaza border crossing
Rafah: After four years, Egypt has permanently opened the Gaza Strip`s main gateway to the outside world.
The move to lift most travel restrictions on Gaza residents brings long-awaited relief to the territory`s Palestinian population and a significant achievement for its Hamas rulers. But it raises Israeli fears it will be easier for militants to go in and out of Gaza.
The first busload of passengers crossed into Egypt on Saturday morning at the Rafah terminal, where about 400 Gazans awaited.
Egypt and Israel have maintained a blockade over Gaza since 2007 to weaken Hamas following its violent seizure of the area. But after the ouster of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in February, Egypt`s new military rulers decided to ease the blockade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- Sushma Swaraj to lead Indian delegation at Mother Teresa's canonisation
- SC to examine whether top officials of CM can sign files on his behalf
- Real Madrid eye Moussa Sissoko as plan B if Paul Pogba pursuit fails: Reports
- Weight loss surgeries can increase risk of fractures: Study
- Lodha effect: Services, Railways to lose voting rights in AIFF