Egypt PM announces cabinet reshuffle within a week
Cairo: Egyptian Prime Minister Essam
Sharaf has announced a government reshuffle within one week, as he faces mounting pressure from protesters over the slow pace of reform.
"I have ordered a cabinet reshuffle within a week to
meet the demands of the revolution and reflect the real will
of the people," Sharaf said in a recorded address on state
He also set a deadline of July 15 for the dismissal of police officers accused of killing protesters during the uprising that ousted president Hosni Mubarak in February.
The prime minister called on the judiciary to proceed with "open trials for all former regime officials and those
accused of killing protesters so that the trials are swift in order to reassure the people."
Sharaf, whose appointment was widely celebrated in
March, has come under increased criticism for being too weak
in the face of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces which
took power when Mubarak was ousted.
A military source told AFP that Sharaf`s speech had
been delayed until the military council approved its final
The prime minister had asked for the dismissal of
several Mubarak-era cabinet members, as well as Deputy Prime
Minister Yehia al-Gamal and Interior Minister Mansur Essawy,
but the military rulers insisted on keeping Essawy, the
military source said.
He also said local governors would be reshuffled
before the end of the month.
Sharaf`s speech comes as sit-ins continue in Cairo,
Alexandria and the canal city of Suez following nationwide
rallies on Friday to demand political change.
Hundreds camped out in Cairo`s Tahrir Square -- the
epicentre of protests that toppled Mubarak-- forming a picket
line outside the Mugamma, a huge government complex housing
Egypt`s sprawling bureaucracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report