Egypt PM announces cabinet reshuffle within a week
Cairo: Egyptian Prime Minister Essam
Sharaf has announced a government reshuffle within one week, as he faces mounting pressure from protesters over the slow pace of reform.
"I have ordered a cabinet reshuffle within a week to
meet the demands of the revolution and reflect the real will
of the people," Sharaf said in a recorded address on state
He also set a deadline of July 15 for the dismissal of police officers accused of killing protesters during the uprising that ousted president Hosni Mubarak in February.
The prime minister called on the judiciary to proceed with "open trials for all former regime officials and those
accused of killing protesters so that the trials are swift in order to reassure the people."
Sharaf, whose appointment was widely celebrated in
March, has come under increased criticism for being too weak
in the face of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces which
took power when Mubarak was ousted.
A military source told AFP that Sharaf`s speech had
been delayed until the military council approved its final
The prime minister had asked for the dismissal of
several Mubarak-era cabinet members, as well as Deputy Prime
Minister Yehia al-Gamal and Interior Minister Mansur Essawy,
but the military rulers insisted on keeping Essawy, the
military source said.
He also said local governors would be reshuffled
before the end of the month.
Sharaf`s speech comes as sit-ins continue in Cairo,
Alexandria and the canal city of Suez following nationwide
rallies on Friday to demand political change.
Hundreds camped out in Cairo`s Tahrir Square -- the
epicentre of protests that toppled Mubarak-- forming a picket
line outside the Mugamma, a huge government complex housing
Egypt`s sprawling bureaucracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town