Egypt police attacked near gas pipeline in Sinai
El-Arish (Egypt): Egyptian security officials say suspected Islamist militants attacked a police patrol along a pipeline in the Sinai Peninsula that transports natural gas to Jordan, wounding seven policemen.
Intelligence officials say the routine police convoy of four vehicles came under fire today near Egypt`s border with Israel in central Sinai.
The pipeline they were monitoring has come under attack more than a dozen times in the past two years.
Officials say several of the policemen, including a high ranking officer, were seriously wounded. No further details were given. The officials spoke anonymously because they were not authorised to speak to media.
Just last month, Egypt said it would boost its gas supply after complaints by Jordan over the interruption of supplies due to pipeline attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city