Egypt police attacked near gas pipeline in Sinai
El-Arish (Egypt): Egyptian security officials say suspected Islamist militants attacked a police patrol along a pipeline in the Sinai Peninsula that transports natural gas to Jordan, wounding seven policemen.
Intelligence officials say the routine police convoy of four vehicles came under fire today near Egypt`s border with Israel in central Sinai.
The pipeline they were monitoring has come under attack more than a dozen times in the past two years.
Officials say several of the policemen, including a high ranking officer, were seriously wounded. No further details were given. The officials spoke anonymously because they were not authorised to speak to media.
Just last month, Egypt said it would boost its gas supply after complaints by Jordan over the interruption of supplies due to pipeline attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez