Egypt police foil ‘Mumbai-style’ terror plot
London: Egyptian authorities have reportedly foiled an al Qaeda plot to massacre holidaymakers in Sharm el-Sheikh.
Authorities claimed that they have arrested five jihadists, and collected pistols, rifles and rocket-propelled grenades for a Mumbai-style assault.
The arrests come after an appeal by al Qaeda leader Ayman Zawahiri for jihadists worldwide to attack and kidnap Westerners in a new wave of violence.
According to the Daily Mirror, it is thought the slaughter of tourists in the Egyptian resort was to take place in the run-up to Christmas.
The attack could have been similar to the one in Mumbai in 2008 when rampaging terrorists killed 164 people, the report said.
According to the report, anti-terrorist police held the suspects near the border with Gaza on Friday as they took weapons to a safe house in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot