Egypt police foil ‘Mumbai-style’ terror plot
London: Egyptian authorities have reportedly foiled an al Qaeda plot to massacre holidaymakers in Sharm el-Sheikh.
Authorities claimed that they have arrested five jihadists, and collected pistols, rifles and rocket-propelled grenades for a Mumbai-style assault.
The arrests come after an appeal by al Qaeda leader Ayman Zawahiri for jihadists worldwide to attack and kidnap Westerners in a new wave of violence.
According to the Daily Mirror, it is thought the slaughter of tourists in the Egyptian resort was to take place in the run-up to Christmas.
The attack could have been similar to the one in Mumbai in 2008 when rampaging terrorists killed 164 people, the report said.
According to the report, anti-terrorist police held the suspects near the border with Gaza on Friday as they took weapons to a safe house in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers