Egypt police foil ‘Mumbai-style’ terror plot
London: Egyptian authorities have reportedly foiled an al Qaeda plot to massacre holidaymakers in Sharm el-Sheikh.
Authorities claimed that they have arrested five jihadists, and collected pistols, rifles and rocket-propelled grenades for a Mumbai-style assault.
The arrests come after an appeal by al Qaeda leader Ayman Zawahiri for jihadists worldwide to attack and kidnap Westerners in a new wave of violence.
According to the Daily Mirror, it is thought the slaughter of tourists in the Egyptian resort was to take place in the run-up to Christmas.
The attack could have been similar to the one in Mumbai in 2008 when rampaging terrorists killed 164 people, the report said.
According to the report, anti-terrorist police held the suspects near the border with Gaza on Friday as they took weapons to a safe house in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- WATCH: How Lionel Messi missed crucial penalty kick in Copa America final against Chile
- When Varun Dhawan, John Abraham came to Jacqueline Fernandez's rescue—Full story inside
- Congress stalwart Sheila Dikhsit refuses to become CM face for 2017 UP elections
- Modi govt shortlists 4 candidates to succeed Raghuram Rajan as RBI Governor
- Uttar Pradesh Congress cancels iftar programme, no official reason attributed behind cancellation