Egypt police foil ‘Mumbai-style’ terror plot
London: Egyptian authorities have reportedly foiled an al Qaeda plot to massacre holidaymakers in Sharm el-Sheikh.
Authorities claimed that they have arrested five jihadists, and collected pistols, rifles and rocket-propelled grenades for a Mumbai-style assault.
The arrests come after an appeal by al Qaeda leader Ayman Zawahiri for jihadists worldwide to attack and kidnap Westerners in a new wave of violence.
According to the Daily Mirror, it is thought the slaughter of tourists in the Egyptian resort was to take place in the run-up to Christmas.
The attack could have been similar to the one in Mumbai in 2008 when rampaging terrorists killed 164 people, the report said.
According to the report, anti-terrorist police held the suspects near the border with Gaza on Friday as they took weapons to a safe house in Egypt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai