Egypt polls: President calls for dialogue with opposition
Cairo: Amid calls for Parliamentary Elections boycott, Egyptian President Muhammed Mursi has reached out to the opposition parties inviting them to a national dialogue to discuss guarantees for "fair and transparent" polls.
"I tell everyone of all colours of the spectrum, to all dear brothers in different parties across Egypt, I approach them by name, by party, by persons to sit tomorrow and put down guarantees for transparent and fair elections," Mursi said in an interview to Mehwar channel on Sunday.
Egypt`s Parliamentary Elections, previously scheduled to begin on April 27, have been brought forward to start on April 22, and will go on till June.
Meanwhile, key Egyptian opposition figure Mohamed ElBaradei has urged Mursi not to go ahead with the elections.
ElBaradei said the elections risked bringing chaos and instability, and possibly military intervention. He said that his party would "not participate in a sham poll".
ElBaradei said he expected other groups in the opposition National Salvation Front (NSF) coalition to follow suit with a boycott when they meet tomorrow.
"We need to send a message loud and clear to the people here and outside of Egypt that this is not a democracy, that we have not participated in an uprising two years ago to end up with a recycling of the (Hosni) Mubarak regime," ElBaradei was quoted by the BBC as saying.
"Torture is still there, abduction is still there, a lack of social justice is still there," ElBaradei said.
He said elections should not be held in April in a society that was "completely polarised".
To do so, he said, would risk setting the country on a "road to total chaos and instability" and that the intervention of the army might then be common sense, to stabilise the situation until the political process could be resumed.
"If Egypt is on the brink of default, if law and order is absent, (the army) have a national duty to intervene," ElBaradei said.
He said the basic problem was that Mursi`s Muslim Brotherhood had spent 80 years in opposition, and was now "intoxicated with power".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM