Egypt President`s first foreign visit to be Saudi
Cairo: Egypt`s official state news agency says that President Mohammed Mursi will visit Saudi Arabia on Wednesday in his first official foreign trip since being sworn in.
The announcement released by MENA comes after Mursi, who was the Muslim Brotherhood`s party leader before being elected, met with Saudi Arabia`s ambassador to Egypt today.
Mursi is the country`s first democratically-elected president and first Islamist and civilian to take office in Egypt. He was sworn in last week.
MENA says Saudi Arabia`s King Abdullah invited Mursi to strengthen relations. Ties between the two countries were good under ousted leader Hosni Mubarak.
Mursi`s visit, though, comes on the heels of a diplomatic spat between the regional powers over demands that Saudi Arabia release an Egyptian rights lawyer detained there for allegedly insulting the kingdom`s monarch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal