Egypt President`s first foreign visit to be Saudi
Cairo: Egypt`s official state news agency says that President Mohammed Mursi will visit Saudi Arabia on Wednesday in his first official foreign trip since being sworn in.
The announcement released by MENA comes after Mursi, who was the Muslim Brotherhood`s party leader before being elected, met with Saudi Arabia`s ambassador to Egypt today.
Mursi is the country`s first democratically-elected president and first Islamist and civilian to take office in Egypt. He was sworn in last week.
MENA says Saudi Arabia`s King Abdullah invited Mursi to strengthen relations. Ties between the two countries were good under ousted leader Hosni Mubarak.
Mursi`s visit, though, comes on the heels of a diplomatic spat between the regional powers over demands that Saudi Arabia release an Egyptian rights lawyer detained there for allegedly insulting the kingdom`s monarch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk
- Italy rescues around 1,100 migrants in Mediterranean
- Usain Bolt was poor, eating beef helped him win nine medals in Olympics: BJP MP Udit Raj
- After Gilgit, PoK and Balochistan, 'azaadi' slogans resonate in Pakistan's Sindh – Watch
- Gold price inches down on steady dollar, Fed rate hike remains on cards