Egypt President`s first foreign visit to be Saudi
Cairo: Egypt`s official state news agency says that President Mohammed Mursi will visit Saudi Arabia on Wednesday in his first official foreign trip since being sworn in.
The announcement released by MENA comes after Mursi, who was the Muslim Brotherhood`s party leader before being elected, met with Saudi Arabia`s ambassador to Egypt today.
Mursi is the country`s first democratically-elected president and first Islamist and civilian to take office in Egypt. He was sworn in last week.
MENA says Saudi Arabia`s King Abdullah invited Mursi to strengthen relations. Ties between the two countries were good under ousted leader Hosni Mubarak.
Mursi`s visit, though, comes on the heels of a diplomatic spat between the regional powers over demands that Saudi Arabia release an Egyptian rights lawyer detained there for allegedly insulting the kingdom`s monarch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16