Egypt Prez ordered Tantawi to retire for ‘benefit of nation’
Cairo: Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi has said that he ordered the retirement of the powerful head of the country`s armed forces, Field Marshal Mohamad Hussein Tantawi, for the ‘benefit of the nation’.
Mursi has also announced the retirement of Chief of staff Sami Annan.
“The decisions I took today (Sunday) were not meant ever to target certain persons, nor did I intend to embarrass institutions, nor was my aim to narrow freedoms,” the BBC quoted Mursi, as saying.
“I did not mean to send a negative message about anyone, but my aim was the benefit of this nation and its people,” he added.
Mursi also said a constitutional declaration aimed at curbing presidential powers had been cancelled.
According to the report, he also praised the armed forces, saying they would now focus ‘on the holy mission of protecting the nation’.
Field Marshal Tantawi, 76, has not yet indicated whether he accepts the moves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday