Egypt Prez ordered Tantawi to retire for ‘benefit of nation’
Cairo: Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi has said that he ordered the retirement of the powerful head of the country`s armed forces, Field Marshal Mohamad Hussein Tantawi, for the ‘benefit of the nation’.
Mursi has also announced the retirement of Chief of staff Sami Annan.
“The decisions I took today (Sunday) were not meant ever to target certain persons, nor did I intend to embarrass institutions, nor was my aim to narrow freedoms,” the BBC quoted Mursi, as saying.
“I did not mean to send a negative message about anyone, but my aim was the benefit of this nation and its people,” he added.
Mursi also said a constitutional declaration aimed at curbing presidential powers had been cancelled.
According to the report, he also praised the armed forces, saying they would now focus ‘on the holy mission of protecting the nation’.
Field Marshal Tantawi, 76, has not yet indicated whether he accepts the moves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- WATCH: Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif, ex-president Pervez Musharraf flirted with this girl?
- What's cooking? Farah Khan's 'do anmol ratan' Ranveer Singh, Anil Kapoor spill madness at shoot
- EXCLUSIVE: This is what Kashmiri children think about India – Must watch video
- US-backed forces give IS '48 hours' to leave Syria's Manbij
- RBI to cut rates by 0.25% on Aug 9 if rains damp pulse price