Egypt prosecutor orders new Mubarak investigation
Cairo: Egypt`s state news agency says the country`s top prosecutor has ordered a new investigation into corruption allegations against ousted President Hosni Mubarak, a move that will keep him detained during his upcoming retrial.
The 84-year old Mubarak heads to court April 13 over his alleged complicity in the killing of hundreds of demonstrators during the protests that ultimately forced him out of office in February 2011.
An Egyptian appeals court had overturned in January Mubarak`s life sentence, citing shoddy procedures and ordering the retrial.
Mubarak, in detention since April 2011, is currently held in a military hospital due to poor health. The new investigation focuses on accusations that Mubarak and his family pocketed state funds designated for the presidential palaces. He faces additional questioning over a period of 15 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH