Egypt protesters storm Muslim Brotherhood offices
Cairo: Reacting to the decree which provides Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi with dictatorial powers, protesters on Saturday attacked Muslim Brotherhood offices in several cities.
The powers that Mursi claims with the new mandate, puts him beyond the ambit of any authority.
Rampant rallies are underway but the President reassures his citizens of the rightful use of his new powers. Speaking to a crowd in Cairo, he made clear that he was the guardian of stability.
Mursi`s detractors dubbed him the `new pharaoh`, a day after he issued a declaration granting himself what many said were more powers than the ousted dictator Hosni Mubarak.
"I have always been, and still am, and will always be, God willing, with the pulse of the people, what the people want, with clear legitimacy," Mursi said.
There are reports that rival demonstration groups clashed in Alexendria.
Several pro President groups even gathered around the presidential palace holding his photographs. Mursi came out and said that Egypt has a great future.
Political forces including the Wafd Party, Tagammu Party, Constitution Party, Democratic Egyptian Party, Free Egyptians Party and Popular Trend Party, as well as the April 6 Youth Movement, the Revolutionary Youth Union, the Free Egyptian Movement, the No to Military Trials group and the Bring them for Trial campaign announced participation in the protest.
Earlier protesters marched from various cities converging in in Cairo`s iconic Tahrir Square chanting slogans such as "Down with the Supreme Guide," "Wake up Mursi, it`s your last day," and the popular "The people demand the fall of the regime." The protesters held banners denouncing the Muslim Brotherhood and its intervention in the state policy, as well as banners rejecting yesterday`s constitutional declaration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door