Egypt relaxes foreign currency rules
Cairo: Egypt, which is in need of foreign currency, is relaxing its rules on how much cash air travelers can bring into the nation.
Egyptian airport officials say that beginning today passengers will be allowed to declare more than USD 10,000 in foreign currency upon arrival, but still won`t be allowed to leave with more than that.
Late last year, as value of the Egyptian pound declined sharply amid political turmoil, President Mohammed Morsi ordered airport authorities to ban people from entering or leaving Egypt with more than USD 10,000. Some Egyptians worried about the country`s slumping economy had begun hoarding US dollars, and several have tried to flee the country with bags of cash.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir