Egypt riot police drive protesters out of square
Cairo: Egypt`s riot police are dismantling tents and arresting hold-out activists as they clear out protesters from central Cairo`s Tahrir Square.
Scuffles broke out on Saturday between the police and a small number of protesters, who had spent the night in the square following massive demonstrations the day before.
Police were seen beating activists who challenged them and a news agency’s cameraman saw police arrest three people who refused to leave.
Tens of thousands of Islamists and young activists massed in Tahrir Square on Friday, confronting Egypt`s ruling military council. The military tolerates daytime demonstrations in the central square, a symbol of the country`s January 25-February 11 uprising, but claims that long-term occupation paralyses the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amarnath Yatra: J&K DGP reviews security arrangements
- Eoin Morgan picks Anil Kumble and MS Dhoni in All-time XI, no place for Sachin Tendulkar
- Dominika Cibulkova stuns Agniezka Radwanska, enters Eastbourne final
- Three arrested for forcing Kerala nursing student to drink toilet cleaner
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners