Egypt says working `diligently` to end NGO row: McCain
Cairo: Egypt says it is working "diligently" to resolve a bitter row with Washington over alleged illicit funding of NGOs for which American and other activists are due to stand trial, US Senator John McCain said on Monday.
Egypt`s military ruler Field Marshal Hussein "Tantawi has assured us they are working very diligently to resolve the NGO issue," he told a news conference in Cairo during a visit aimed at defusing the row between the traditional allies.
But fellow Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who is
accompanying McCain, said the crackdown on the NGOs accused of
receiving illegal foreign aid was "politically motivated."
"As an American, I`m offended," he said.
Washington has already hinted that the crackdown could
harm its long-standing ties with the Egyptian government.
The trial of 43 democracy activists, including 19
Americans, working for local and foreign NGOs operating in
Egypt, is due to begin on Sunday, according to Egyptian
The defendants are charged with "establishing unlicensed
chapters of international organisations and accepting foreign
funding to finance these groups in a manner that breached the
Egyptian state`s sovereignty," the official MENA news agency
Among the foreign NGOs targeted are the National
Democratic Institute, the the International Republican
Institute (IRI) and Freedom House, all from the United States.
The main suspect, Sam LaHood, is the son of US Secretary
of Transportation Ray LaHood and heads the Egyptian chapter of
the IRI. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray