Egypt security raid Iranian TV station`s offices
Cairo: Egyptian security officials have raided the offices of an Iranian TV station and confiscated its equipment for allegedly operating without permits.
Ahmed el-Sioufi, office director of Al-Alam TV, said on Sunday the station has repeatedly applied for permits since it first began its operations in Cairo nearly nine years ago. He said Egyptian authorities always denied the request but allowed the station to operate.
It is a common practice by used by Egyptian security forces to crackdown on media outfits.
In September, security forces raided the offices of Al-Jazeera Live Egypt for similar reasons. The station has since resumed broadcasting without a licence.
El-Sioufi said his son and another staffer have been detained. He said he fears the crackdown aims to restrict media ahead of Egypt`s presidential elections this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened