Egypt seizes heavy weapons smuggled from Libya
Cairo: An Egyptian police official says security forces have confiscated dozens of heavy weapons seized from smugglers near the Libyan border.
The official says the weapons include 40 surface-to-surface missiles, 17 rocket-propelled grenade launchers, mortar rounds, automatic rifles and around 10,000 artillery shells.
Authorities uncovered the weapons today in three vehicles near the city of Marsa Matrouh, 430 kilometres northwest of Cairo on the Mediterranean coast. The official says three drivers were arrested.
He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to brief the press.
In March, Egyptian security officials said that thousands of weapons are flooding into the country from neighbouring Libya following the country`s civil war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says