Egypt seizes heavy weapons smuggled from Libya
Cairo: An Egyptian police official says security forces have confiscated dozens of heavy weapons seized from smugglers near the Libyan border.
The official says the weapons include 40 surface-to-surface missiles, 17 rocket-propelled grenade launchers, mortar rounds, automatic rifles and around 10,000 artillery shells.
Authorities uncovered the weapons today in three vehicles near the city of Marsa Matrouh, 430 kilometres northwest of Cairo on the Mediterranean coast. The official says three drivers were arrested.
He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to brief the press.
In March, Egyptian security officials said that thousands of weapons are flooding into the country from neighbouring Libya following the country`s civil war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi