Egypt seizes heavy weapons smuggled from Libya
Cairo: An Egyptian police official says security forces have confiscated dozens of heavy weapons seized from smugglers near the Libyan border.
The official says the weapons include 40 surface-to-surface missiles, 17 rocket-propelled grenade launchers, mortar rounds, automatic rifles and around 10,000 artillery shells.
Authorities uncovered the weapons today in three vehicles near the city of Marsa Matrouh, 430 kilometres northwest of Cairo on the Mediterranean coast. The official says three drivers were arrested.
He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to brief the press.
In March, Egyptian security officials said that thousands of weapons are flooding into the country from neighbouring Libya following the country`s civil war.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui