Egypt seizes two tons of explosives headed to Sinai
El-Arish: Egyptian security officials say they have seized two tons of explosives headed to the Sinai Peninsula from Cairo.
They say the explosives were seized on Friday in the main Suez Canal transport tunnel that links Egypt to the Sinai. The truck driver is being questioned.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
Lawlessness has been rife in Sinai since the ouster of longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak in February 2011. In the past two years, Egypt`s Interior Ministry has confiscated hundreds of weapons smuggled from Libya. Officials say some of these weapons are then smuggled into Gaza.
Sinai`s Islamist militants also have benefited from the deterioration of security in the area and have begun to launch bolder attacks against the police and military.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days