Egypt seizes two tons of explosives headed to Sinai
El-Arish: Egyptian security officials say they have seized two tons of explosives headed to the Sinai Peninsula from Cairo.
They say the explosives were seized on Friday in the main Suez Canal transport tunnel that links Egypt to the Sinai. The truck driver is being questioned.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
Lawlessness has been rife in Sinai since the ouster of longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak in February 2011. In the past two years, Egypt`s Interior Ministry has confiscated hundreds of weapons smuggled from Libya. Officials say some of these weapons are then smuggled into Gaza.
Sinai`s Islamist militants also have benefited from the deterioration of security in the area and have begun to launch bolder attacks against the police and military.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!