Egypt sentences policeman to die for protest deaths
Cairo: An Egyptian criminal court sentenced a police officer to death in absentia on Sunday for killing protesters during demonstrations that ousted President Hosni Mubarak, a judicial source said on Sunday.
The source said Mohamed Ibrahim Abdel-Monem was convicted of killing 20 protesters on Jan 28, one of the most violent days of the 18-day uprising that unseated Mubarak on Feb 11. The court referred the case to the Grand Mufti, Egypt`s religious authority who must approve all death sentences.
The sentence against Abdel-Monem, who has evaded capture, is scheduled to be confirmed on June 26 after the Mufti`s approval.
Boston: Federal immigration officials say a Pakistani man arrested in Massachusetts during the investigation into last year`s failed New York Times Square car bombing has been deported to Pakistan.
Aftab Ali Khan, who was from Watertown, was accompanied by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers on a flight from Logan International Airport to Islamabad on Sunday. Khan, his uncle and a man in Maine were arrested on immigration violations nearly two weeks after the failed bombing attempt on May 01, 2010.
Khan pleaded guilty to immigration and illegal money-transfer charges. He did not face terrorism-related charges.
Federal authorities say Khan unwittingly supplied USD 4,900 to Faisal Shahzad, of Bridgeport, Connecticut, who was convicted in the attempted bombing.
Khan came to the US in August 2009 on a 90-day visa to get married.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list