Egypt: Shafiq to be probed for corruption
Cairo: A judge will soon begin investigating MP Essam Sultan`s profiteering and corruption accusations against Egypt`s presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq.
Judge Osama el-Saadi, who was delegated by the justice minister to probe a lawsuit filed by Sultan against Shafiq, received all investigation files pertaining to the case, in which Shafiq is accused of wasting public funds.
On May 13, the People`s Assembly, the lower house of parliament, decided to refer to the prosecutor general for investigation a land sale contract forged between Shafiq and the sons of the former president upon Sultan`s complaint.
The contract is dated November 1993, under which a 40,238 square meter land, overlooking the Great Bitter Lake, was sold for a nugatory price of Egyptian pounds 0.75 per metre, while its real value was Egyptian pounds 8.
Shafiq was then the chairman of an association supervising the land.
The land is owned by the state and was allocated to an association for young Air Force soldiers.
Immediately after becoming the chairman of the cooperative, Shafiq`s first decision was to sell the land, Sultan had alleged.
Earlier this month, Shafiq refuted the accusations, accusing Sultan of being a former state security informant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof