Egypt Shiites killed by mob near Cairo: Police
Cairo: Four Egyptian Shiite Muslims were today killed when they were attacked by a hostile mob in a village in Giza province near the capital, police said.
A house where the minority Shiites were meeting in Abu Mussalam was surrounded by residents who told them to get out.
When they refused, a crowd of several hundred people stormed the building and killed four Shiites and wounded several others, police said.
Shiites, who form just one percent of Egypt`s population which is primarily Sunni Muslim, are often accused of being under the influence of Shiite-majority Iran.
Recent arrivals in Egypt of small groups of tourists from Iran had to be suspended following protests by hardline Salafists in the Arab world`s most populous nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman