Egypt Shiites killed by mob near Cairo: Police
Cairo: Four Egyptian Shiite Muslims were today killed when they were attacked by a hostile mob in a village in Giza province near the capital, police said.
A house where the minority Shiites were meeting in Abu Mussalam was surrounded by residents who told them to get out.
When they refused, a crowd of several hundred people stormed the building and killed four Shiites and wounded several others, police said.
Shiites, who form just one percent of Egypt`s population which is primarily Sunni Muslim, are often accused of being under the influence of Shiite-majority Iran.
Recent arrivals in Egypt of small groups of tourists from Iran had to be suspended following protests by hardline Salafists in the Arab world`s most populous nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal