Egypt Shiites killed by mob near Cairo: Police
Cairo: Four Egyptian Shiite Muslims were today killed when they were attacked by a hostile mob in a village in Giza province near the capital, police said.
A house where the minority Shiites were meeting in Abu Mussalam was surrounded by residents who told them to get out.
When they refused, a crowd of several hundred people stormed the building and killed four Shiites and wounded several others, police said.
Shiites, who form just one percent of Egypt`s population which is primarily Sunni Muslim, are often accused of being under the influence of Shiite-majority Iran.
Recent arrivals in Egypt of small groups of tourists from Iran had to be suspended following protests by hardline Salafists in the Arab world`s most populous nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site