Egypt to charge security officials in soccer violence
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 18:28
Cairo: Security officials will be among 50 suspects that would be referred for criminal proceedings in connection with Egypt's worst football violence that claimed 71 lives and sparked widespread anti-government protests.

Egyptian judicial sources said that the attorney general would soon announce results of an investigation into the violence early this month at Port Said city after a football match between popular clubs Al-Ahly and Al-Masry.

More than 50 suspects will be referred to a criminal court to be charged for the violence and three Port Said security officials will be among them, a media report said.

The security officials will be charged with negligence that caused deaths and injury to more than 200 people, said a report in Al Masry Al Youm newspaper, quoting sources who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Meanwhile, Egypt's lawyers association said it has assigned a defence team to represent the families of the victims, and that the attorney general's order for the suspects to appear in court would be issued within a few days.

The order, they said, would hold many surprises, especially regarding the names of the suspects.

At its meeting yesterday, the lawyers association said it has obtained important information that it would not divulge until investigations are over.

Lawyers Syndicate spokesperson Abdel Aziz al-Derini said that turning off the stadium lights during the incident made it difficult to identify perpetrators in the surveillance camera recordings.

The fact-finding committee that was formed by the syndicate said in its report that eyewitness testimonies confirmed beyond doubt that security services were greatly involved from the beginning until the end of the incident, deliberately making sure the largest number of deaths occurred, it said.

22 suspects in the violence have been released after spending 15 days in custody pending investigations, while prosecutors ordered the arrest of others who appeared on security footage.


First Published: Friday, February 17, 2012, 23:57

comments powered by Disqus