Egypt to try detained Gaddafi cousin, wanted in Libya
Cairo: Egypt will try a cousin and top aide of slain Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on charges of attempted murder, although Libyan authorities are pressing for his extradition, Egyptian state media reported on Sunday.
Ahmed Qaddaf al-Dam, arrested in Cairo in March after a gunfight with police in his apartment, has been detained in Egypt since, despite Libyan demands for his extradition so he could be put on trial on forgery charges.
A judge referred Qaddaf al-Dam "to the Cairo criminal court on charges of attempted murder and resisting authorities and unlicensed weapons possession," the MENA news agency reported.
Tripoli had lodged an appeal earlier this month against an Egyptian court ruling blocking his extradition to Libya. The court ruled that Qaddaf al-Dam should be tried in Egypt.
On the day of his arrest, Qaddaf al-Dam and his bodyguards allegedly fired a hail of bullets at masked policemen who stormed his apartment in an upscale Cairo neighbourhood, a witness told a news agency.
MENA reported a policeman was wounded in the exchange of fire.
The Libyan prosecutor`s spokesman, Taha Baara, had told a news agency that Tripoli issued an international arrest warrant for Qaddaf al-Dam for "forging documents".
Qaddaf al-Dam, who had an Egyptian residency permit, oversaw relations between Tripoli and Cairo but resigned from his post in February 2011 after the start of the revolt against Gaddafi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Hindu community not allowed to exercise its Right to Information in Pakistan, activists protest