Zee Media Bureau
Cairo: Egypt’s ousted President Mohammed Morsi will stand trial on charges of inciting murders of protesters, country’s top prosecutor said on Sunday.
Morsi has been kept at a secret location after he was ousted in July.
According to state media, the prosecutor charged Morsi and 14 other Brotherhood members with "committing acts of violence, and inciting killing and thuggery".
The charges refer to the deaths of ten people who were reportedly killed last December while protesting against Morsi decree outside the presidential palace in Cairo.
Over one lakh protesters thronged outside the presidential palace on December 4, in protest of a decree issued by Morsi that would protect his decisions from judicial oversight.
Morsi was also criticized for a controversial constitution draft that was adopted by the Islamist-dominated parliament in a rush.
Protesters demanded that Morsi call off a referendum scheduled days later. The next day, Islamist groups and supporters of Morsi attacked protesters who had camped outside the presidential palace, sparking deadly street battles that left at least 10 dead and sent chills among Morsi`s opponents that he had relied on organized mobs to suppress the sit-in.
Other than Morsi, fourteen other members of the Muslim Brotherhood will be tried with Morsi, including top aides and leading members of his political party.
Officials from the Brotherhood and its political party denied using violence to quell critics and said supporters were defending the palace. They accused opponents of starting the battles and forcing away police that had been guarding the area.
Those referred to trial with Morsi include the deputy leader of the Brotherhood`s political party, Essam el-Erian, who is currently in hiding. They also include leading Brotherhood member Mohammed el-Beltagy, who was arrested this week, as well as leading pro-Brotherhood youth leaders who were video-taped during the street clashes on the front lines.
With Agency Inputs