Egypt treaty changes not acceptable to Israel: Lie
Jerusalem: Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said on Friday that Tel Aviv will not accept alterations to its 1979 peace treaty with Egypt, as relations between the two countries continue to fray.
"There is not the slightest possibility that Israel will accept the modification of the peace treaty with Egypt," Lieberman was quoted as telling Israeli Public radio.
"We will not accept any modification of the Camp David accords," he added.
Lieberman’s comments have come at a time when the ties between Egypt and Israel have soured, with speculation that the government of Egypt`s Islamist President Mohamed Morsi could seek to alter parts of the decades-old treaty.
The issue of security in Egypt`s Sinai, which borders Israel and has increasingly become a haven for militants, has dealth another setback to the bilateral ties as they militants have frequently used the territory as a launching ground for attacking the Jewish state.
Today, an Israeli soldier and three militants who infiltrated from Sinai were killed in a clash along the border, after troops opened fire on the gunmen as they crossed the frontier.
Israel has urged Egypt to tackle the growing lawlessness in Sinai, and Cairo has responded by boosting its military presence in the peninsula, but that has also raised concern in the Jewish state, because the Camp David treaty limits the number of Egyptian troops that can be present in the territory.
"Egypt must fulfill its obligations in Sinai," Lieberman said today.
Egypt launched an unprecedented military operation in the peninsula after militants killed 16 Egyptian border police in northern Sinai on August 5.
Israel has warned that it expects Cairo to withdraw the military reinforcements once the operation was over.
With Agenc Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP