Egypt tribal fighting over woman kills 23: Health ministry
Cairo: At least 23 people have been killed in tribal clashes in Egypt`s southern Aswan province after a man from one group sexually accosted a woman from another, officials said on Saturday.
Tribal vendettas are common in the poor, rural south, but the violence that first erupted yesterday is the worst in recent memory, police said.
Longstanding tensions between Bani Hilal tribesmen and the Nubian Dabudiya family emerged after the woman was accosted on Thursday, the interior ministry said.
The health ministry said 20 were killed in renewed fighting today, a day after a failed reconciliation meeting between the two sides ended in a gun battle that killed three.
Security officials has earlier said the meeting took place on Thursday.
Police said the clashes had subsided by the afternoon after they sent in reinforcements to quell the unrest.
Police began to reassert themselves across the country only recently, after a breakdown in law and order following a 2011 uprising that overthrew strongman Hosni Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery