Egypt tribal fighting over woman kills 23: Health ministry
Cairo: At least 23 people have been killed in tribal clashes in Egypt`s southern Aswan province after a man from one group sexually accosted a woman from another, officials said on Saturday.
Tribal vendettas are common in the poor, rural south, but the violence that first erupted yesterday is the worst in recent memory, police said.
Longstanding tensions between Bani Hilal tribesmen and the Nubian Dabudiya family emerged after the woman was accosted on Thursday, the interior ministry said.
The health ministry said 20 were killed in renewed fighting today, a day after a failed reconciliation meeting between the two sides ended in a gun battle that killed three.
Security officials has earlier said the meeting took place on Thursday.
Police said the clashes had subsided by the afternoon after they sent in reinforcements to quell the unrest.
Police began to reassert themselves across the country only recently, after a breakdown in law and order following a 2011 uprising that overthrew strongman Hosni Mubarak.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre