Egypt trying to broker Hamas-Israel ceasefire
Cairo, Dec 28: Egypt is trying to broker a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas to be followed by a truce, Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul Gheit said following talks with Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas.
Abbas was in Cairo to discuss Egyptian and Arab League efforts to end the violence in Gaza that has seen the Israeli military kill more than 280 Palestinians in two days of air strikes against Hamas targets.
One Israeli was also killed by a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip yesterday.
Abul Gheit said that a meeting of Arab League Foreign Ministers set to be held in Cairo on Wednesday should agree on a plan to deal with the crisis that would include seeking a ceasefire and trying to renew a Hamas-Israel truce.
The ministers "must decide how to reach a ceasefire between the two parties as a prelude to an agreement on the truce which will lead to an opening of crossing points between Israel and Gaza."
Israel, Hamas and the United Nations Security Council will be informed of the outcome of Wednesday`s meeting, he said.
Egypt brokered a six-month truce between Hamas and Israel which expired last week, heralding a resurgence of tit-for-tat violence that led to Israel`s onslaught on the territory.
Abul Gheit said that Egypt was making "a big effort" to contain the situation in Gaza. "The essential now is to examine ways to stop the aggression and end military operations.”
"We have again summoned the Israeli ambassador to tell him that we reject the continuation of military operations and reject a ground invasion by Israeli forces."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days