Egypt: TV station run by veiled women launched
London: Maria TV, a new satellite news channel that only features women wearing the full Islamic veil, has been launched in Egypt. Men are banned from the show, a media report said on Saturday.
Stationed in a small apartment in the working class district of Abassiya in the capital city of Cairo, Maria TV will be broadcast for six hours a day on the al-Ummah channel, a religious station run by orthodox Salafi Islamists.
Wearing veils and dressed in black from head to toe, only women are employees of Maria TV.
Men are banned from the show, even on phone-ins. All women staff, including those behind the camera, wear veils.
Female preacher El-Sheikha Safaa Refai, who heads Maria TV, said the channel`s existence showed how far the country had come since the uprising that ousted president Hosni Mubarak.
On the subject of wearing a veil to read the news, she said: "I was told that it won`t work because of the body language. Well, the tone of my voice can convey my emotions and reactions."
She said she hoped that by appearing on TV in full Islamic dress, she could show people "that there are successful women wearing niqab".
The Daily Mail said the channel is named after a Coptic Christian woman from Egypt who was married to Prophet Mohammad.
Abeer Shahin said she graduated from the prestigious American University in Cairo but struggled to find a job because of employers` aversion to her full Islamic veil.
But now she has found a job she hopes will change how Egyptian society views niqab wearers. She is going to work as a TV anchor.
"It`s unfair to deal with veiled women as a standard religious housewife. No, she can be a doctor, a professor and an engineer," said Shahin, wearing a loose black robe and a black head scarf that revealed only her eyes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka