Egypt-US relations in turmoil, says minister
Cairo: Relations between the United States and Egypt are in deep-seated turmoil which could hurt the entire Middle East, the Egyptian foreign minister said in remarks published on Wednesday.
Nabil Fahmy told the state-run Al-Ahram newspaper the extension of the period of instability in ties would "reflect negatively on the entire region, including American interests".
"We are now in a delicate state reflecting the turmoil in the relationship and anyone who says otherwise is not speaking honestly," he said.
Egypt criticised a US decision last week to curtail military and economic aid to Cairo after a crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood, although Washington stressed it was not severing ties with its long-standing ally.
US officials said the move reflected Washington`s unhappiness with Egypt`s path since the Army overthrew freely-elected President Mohammed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood on July 03.
The Army-backed interim government insisted Egypt would not bow to US pressure, saying it found the decision strange at a time when the country was "facing a war against terrorism".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas