Egypt-US relations in turmoil, says minister
Cairo: Relations between the United States and Egypt are in deep-seated turmoil which could hurt the entire Middle East, the Egyptian foreign minister said in remarks published on Wednesday.
Nabil Fahmy told the state-run Al-Ahram newspaper the extension of the period of instability in ties would "reflect negatively on the entire region, including American interests".
"We are now in a delicate state reflecting the turmoil in the relationship and anyone who says otherwise is not speaking honestly," he said.
Egypt criticised a US decision last week to curtail military and economic aid to Cairo after a crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood, although Washington stressed it was not severing ties with its long-standing ally.
US officials said the move reflected Washington`s unhappiness with Egypt`s path since the Army overthrew freely-elected President Mohammed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood on July 03.
The Army-backed interim government insisted Egypt would not bow to US pressure, saying it found the decision strange at a time when the country was "facing a war against terrorism".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- 7th Pay Commission: BSNL retirees seek salary benefits
- Kasi Bennett: Everything you wanted to know about Usain Bolt's girlfriend
- Three held in France in August for planning attacks: Minister
- Some officers creating hurdles in govt schemes: Akhilesh Yadav
- Snapdeal lines up Rs 200 cr marketing blitz for festive season