Egypt VP Mahmoud Mekki resigns
Cairo: Egypt`s vice-president on Saturday announced his resignation, saying he had realised the role did not suit his background as a judge.
His resignation comes on the day the country completes its voting in a controversial referendum on a draft constitution.
Mekki, who was appointed in August, announced his resignation just hours before the end of voting in the second round of the referendum.
Mekki, 58, said he had tried to resign on 7 November but that circumstances had forced him to remain.
He said in a statement read on television: "I realised a while ago that the nature of politics does not suit my professional background as a judge."
Observers here say that choosing to announce his official resignation only hours before the results on the draft constitution referendum meant he did not want to be associated with the voting process or its consequences.
There`s also speculation that this resignation also implies that the draft constitution has already passed. Because, according to the new charter, the president is not obligated to hire a vice president, in which case Mekki was pre-empting the vote.
Mahmoud Mekki is one of the highest-profile judges in Egypt. In his resignation statement he said he did not know about the decree that gave President Mohammed Mursi sweeping powers in November - giving the impression that he was unhappy with not being consulted on key decisions.
Later in the day, another high profile official, the governor of the central bank Farouk al-Okda also resigned.
His departure comes at a time when Egypt`s pound has been losing value against the US Dollar and the postponement of a deal with the IMF for a much needed loan of USD 4.8 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in