Egypt VP Mahmoud Mekki resigns
Cairo: Egypt`s vice-president on Saturday announced his resignation, saying he had realised the role did not suit his background as a judge.
His resignation comes on the day the country completes its voting in a controversial referendum on a draft constitution.
Mekki, who was appointed in August, announced his resignation just hours before the end of voting in the second round of the referendum.
Mekki, 58, said he had tried to resign on 7 November but that circumstances had forced him to remain.
He said in a statement read on television: "I realised a while ago that the nature of politics does not suit my professional background as a judge."
Observers here say that choosing to announce his official resignation only hours before the results on the draft constitution referendum meant he did not want to be associated with the voting process or its consequences.
There`s also speculation that this resignation also implies that the draft constitution has already passed. Because, according to the new charter, the president is not obligated to hire a vice president, in which case Mekki was pre-empting the vote.
Mahmoud Mekki is one of the highest-profile judges in Egypt. In his resignation statement he said he did not know about the decree that gave President Mohammed Mursi sweeping powers in November - giving the impression that he was unhappy with not being consulted on key decisions.
Later in the day, another high profile official, the governor of the central bank Farouk al-Okda also resigned.
His departure comes at a time when Egypt`s pound has been losing value against the US Dollar and the postponement of a deal with the IMF for a much needed loan of USD 4.8 billion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why