Egypt warns Hamas it won`t wait over unity deal
Cairo: Egypt has warned it would not wait
"forever" for Palestinian factions to agree a unity deal after
the Islamist movement Hamas postponed signing the accord with
its Fatah rivals.
"Egypt is not prepared to wait forever," foreign ministry
spokesman Hossam Zaki told Al-Arabiya television yesterday.
Cairo has been trying for several months to help end the
division between the Gaza Strip, controlled by Hamas since
June 2007, and the West Bank, where Palestinian Authority
president Mahmud Abbas holds sway.
The signing of the unity agreement was to be held in
Cairo on October 26.
But Hamas said the delay was also partly the result of
differences with Abbas`s Fatah movement over the Goldstone
commission`s report on the devastating Israeli offensive on
Gaza at the turn of the year.
"The document prepared by Egypt is not a document (meant
for) negotiations. The negotiations lasted several months,"
"Egypt has received comments from all factions and has
discussed them with everyone at the highest level, including
with Hamas, which sent the head of its political bureau to
Cairo for more details.
"It is therefore surprising to hear... now that Hamas
still has reservations about when the draft agreement should
be signed," the foreign ministry spokesman said.
Earlier, an Egyptian official accused Hamas of bad faith
over its refusal to sign up to the unity deal on schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report