Egypt warns Hamas it won`t wait over unity deal
Cairo: Egypt has warned it would not wait
"forever" for Palestinian factions to agree a unity deal after
the Islamist movement Hamas postponed signing the accord with
its Fatah rivals.
"Egypt is not prepared to wait forever," foreign ministry
spokesman Hossam Zaki told Al-Arabiya television yesterday.
Cairo has been trying for several months to help end the
division between the Gaza Strip, controlled by Hamas since
June 2007, and the West Bank, where Palestinian Authority
president Mahmud Abbas holds sway.
The signing of the unity agreement was to be held in
Cairo on October 26.
But Hamas said the delay was also partly the result of
differences with Abbas`s Fatah movement over the Goldstone
commission`s report on the devastating Israeli offensive on
Gaza at the turn of the year.
"The document prepared by Egypt is not a document (meant
for) negotiations. The negotiations lasted several months,"
"Egypt has received comments from all factions and has
discussed them with everyone at the highest level, including
with Hamas, which sent the head of its political bureau to
Cairo for more details.
"It is therefore surprising to hear... now that Hamas
still has reservations about when the draft agreement should
be signed," the foreign ministry spokesman said.
Earlier, an Egyptian official accused Hamas of bad faith
over its refusal to sign up to the unity deal on schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday