Egypt widens crackdown on Mubarak`s former top aides
Cairo: Widening a crackdown on former key
officials, Egyptian authorities have detained Safwat
Al-Sherif, the former Secretary General of the country`s
largest National Democratic Party, in signs that the noose may
be tightening against ousted President Hosni Mubarak.
al-Sherif was detained for 15 days on corruption
charges and interrogated for 12-hours, Al Arabiya reported
quoting state news agency MENA.
Sherif was a key ally of the former President and
served as Egypt`s public face for over 20 years as the
A special panel formed to uncover illicit gains has
also summoned Fathi Sorour, former Speaker of the Lower House
for questioning on Wednesday over allegations that he has
amassed large amounts of money illegally.
The hauling up of the two top officials comes as
clamour grows in the country for putting the deposed Mubarak
on public trial for corruption and human rights violations.
Thousands of people continued their sit-in at the
Egyptian capital`s iconic Tahrir Square demanding a trial for
Pro-democracy protesters, who have reappeared in the
Square have repeatedly clashed with the military on their
demand that all former top officials including Mubarak be
Egyptian Attorney General Abdul Meguid Mahmood has
summoned Mubarak and his two sons over accusations of use of
violence against protesters during the anti-government
demonstrations that led to toppling of the former president.
The summons for appearance for the former Egyptian
ironman came after Mubarak came out of his self imposed
seclusion to decry what he termed as an "unjust campaign
against him and declared that he did not own any assets
"All measures would be taken to ensure the safety of
Mubarak and his sons during their appearance," the Interior
Minister, Mansur Essawy said.
But no date was announced, Al Jazeera reported, saying
that the minister had warned that if Mubarak refused to show
up he could face arrest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way