Egypt widens crackdown on Mubarak`s former top aides
Cairo: Widening a crackdown on former key
officials, Egyptian authorities have detained Safwat
Al-Sherif, the former Secretary General of the country`s
largest National Democratic Party, in signs that the noose may
be tightening against ousted President Hosni Mubarak.
al-Sherif was detained for 15 days on corruption
charges and interrogated for 12-hours, Al Arabiya reported
quoting state news agency MENA.
Sherif was a key ally of the former President and
served as Egypt`s public face for over 20 years as the
A special panel formed to uncover illicit gains has
also summoned Fathi Sorour, former Speaker of the Lower House
for questioning on Wednesday over allegations that he has
amassed large amounts of money illegally.
The hauling up of the two top officials comes as
clamour grows in the country for putting the deposed Mubarak
on public trial for corruption and human rights violations.
Thousands of people continued their sit-in at the
Egyptian capital`s iconic Tahrir Square demanding a trial for
Pro-democracy protesters, who have reappeared in the
Square have repeatedly clashed with the military on their
demand that all former top officials including Mubarak be
Egyptian Attorney General Abdul Meguid Mahmood has
summoned Mubarak and his two sons over accusations of use of
violence against protesters during the anti-government
demonstrations that led to toppling of the former president.
The summons for appearance for the former Egyptian
ironman came after Mubarak came out of his self imposed
seclusion to decry what he termed as an "unjust campaign
against him and declared that he did not own any assets
"All measures would be taken to ensure the safety of
Mubarak and his sons during their appearance," the Interior
Minister, Mansur Essawy said.
But no date was announced, Al Jazeera reported, saying
that the minister had warned that if Mubarak refused to show
up he could face arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'