Egyptian activist gets 6 months` jail for insulting
Cairo: A prominent activist has been sentenced to 6 months` prison for insulting Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi, calling him a "killer" and a "criminal".
Tanta Misdemeanour Court yesterday sentenced opposition activist Ahmed Douma to 6 months in prison on charges of insulting Mursi.
The court found him guilty, saying that such acts would "undermine state security and terrorise people."
Bail was set at Egyptian pounds 5,000.
Douma was arrested last Tuesday after a Muslim Brotherhood member complained that the activist called Mursi a "killer" and a "criminal," and blamed him for a violent security crackdown on protesters in the coastal city of Port Said that left 40 people dead.
Dozens of supporters gathered before the court to express solidarity with Douma. They chanted slogans against the President and the Muslim Brotherhood to which Mursi belongs.
High security was imposed fearing riots.
Mursi, elected in June last year, has been accused of suppressing or seeking to suppress opponents and journalists who criticise him by accusing them of defamation.
This is the eighteenth time activist Douma has been imprisoned.
Douma, who had been an activist since the Mubarak years, had been previously arrested during the SCAF rule, in 2012, following a clash with military personnel in front of the Egyptian cabinet headquarters near Cairo`s Tahrir Square.
The court of appeal will review his appeal on June 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka