Egyptian activist gets 6 months` jail for insulting
Cairo: A prominent activist has been sentenced to 6 months` prison for insulting Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi, calling him a "killer" and a "criminal".
Tanta Misdemeanour Court yesterday sentenced opposition activist Ahmed Douma to 6 months in prison on charges of insulting Mursi.
The court found him guilty, saying that such acts would "undermine state security and terrorise people."
Bail was set at Egyptian pounds 5,000.
Douma was arrested last Tuesday after a Muslim Brotherhood member complained that the activist called Mursi a "killer" and a "criminal," and blamed him for a violent security crackdown on protesters in the coastal city of Port Said that left 40 people dead.
Dozens of supporters gathered before the court to express solidarity with Douma. They chanted slogans against the President and the Muslim Brotherhood to which Mursi belongs.
High security was imposed fearing riots.
Mursi, elected in June last year, has been accused of suppressing or seeking to suppress opponents and journalists who criticise him by accusing them of defamation.
This is the eighteenth time activist Douma has been imprisoned.
Douma, who had been an activist since the Mubarak years, had been previously arrested during the SCAF rule, in 2012, following a clash with military personnel in front of the Egyptian cabinet headquarters near Cairo`s Tahrir Square.
The court of appeal will review his appeal on June 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people