Egyptian activist gets 6 months` jail for insulting
Cairo: A prominent activist has been sentenced to 6 months` prison for insulting Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi, calling him a "killer" and a "criminal".
Tanta Misdemeanour Court yesterday sentenced opposition activist Ahmed Douma to 6 months in prison on charges of insulting Mursi.
The court found him guilty, saying that such acts would "undermine state security and terrorise people."
Bail was set at Egyptian pounds 5,000.
Douma was arrested last Tuesday after a Muslim Brotherhood member complained that the activist called Mursi a "killer" and a "criminal," and blamed him for a violent security crackdown on protesters in the coastal city of Port Said that left 40 people dead.
Dozens of supporters gathered before the court to express solidarity with Douma. They chanted slogans against the President and the Muslim Brotherhood to which Mursi belongs.
High security was imposed fearing riots.
Mursi, elected in June last year, has been accused of suppressing or seeking to suppress opponents and journalists who criticise him by accusing them of defamation.
This is the eighteenth time activist Douma has been imprisoned.
Douma, who had been an activist since the Mubarak years, had been previously arrested during the SCAF rule, in 2012, following a clash with military personnel in front of the Egyptian cabinet headquarters near Cairo`s Tahrir Square.
The court of appeal will review his appeal on June 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi