Egyptian aid convoy to Gaza stopped at border crossing
Cairo: Egyptian army forces Thursday stopped a medical aid convoy to war-torn Gaza for not having an official permit, at the Rafah border crossing.
The convoy, consisting of 10 participants - doctors and members of the Popular Campaign to support the Palestinian Intifada, left Cairo at today at dawn heading to the Rafah border crossing.
But the convoy was blocked by army forces near Al Qantarah El Sharqiyya, a northeastern Egyptian city on the eastern side of the Suez Canal located in the Egyptian governorate of Ismailia in the Sinai Peninsula, 160 kilometres northeast of Cairo.
"An army officer told us that we have to have an official permit issued by the army`s military intelligence," said Tamer Qenawi, a member of the campaign.
Qenawi told Sada el-Balad TV that the members of the campaign will negotiate with the officer again as they won`t return to Cairo without delivering the aid to Gaza.
Last week, an 11-bus convoy was also denied access to the Rafah crossing for the same reason.
The authorities stopped the convoy at Balouza checkpoint, 150 kms south west of the Rafah border, where the aid was scheduled to be delivered to Palestinians.
After the convoy reached the checkpoint, the authorities told them that they were not allowed to enter Gaza for their security.
The Egyptian-controlled border crossing has been opened a few times since the start of Israel`s offensive as an "exceptional" measure to transport injured Palestinians to North Sinai hospitals and deliver Egyptian as well as Arab aid to Gaza.
The Rafah crossing has been closed for most of the time since the military ouster of Egypt`s President Mohamed Morsi in July 2013, due to security concerns related to the spike in Islamist militancy in Sinai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India