`Egyptian Army had no choice but topple Morsi`
London: Former British prime minister Tony Blair has said theEgyptian army had no alternative but to oust President Mohammed Morsi from power.
He said that the move came due to the strength of opposition on the streets.
Blair wrote in the Observer that the military was confronted with the simple choice of intervening or allowing chaos, the Guardian reports.
Blair`s comments come as Egypt is facing prolonged civil conflict after the removal from power of Morsi, who came to office with 51 percent of the popular vote at the country`s first democratic presidential election, held last year.
With his comments, Blair made clear that, overall, he believes it was the right move.
Blair said that the events in Egypt are just `the latest example of the interplay, visible the world over, between democracy, protest and government efficacy. Democracy is a way of deciding the decision-makers but it is not a substitute for making a decision,` the report added.
He also launched a stinging attack on the Muslim Brotherhood`s record in government, saying it was unable to shift from being an opposition movement to being a government.
Blair also argued that the West needs to remain fully engaged in the region, including in Syria,Iran and Palestine, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- HILARIOUS! How Virender Sehwag trolled birthday boy Rohit Sharma in his inimitable style
- Section 144 imposed in Jind as Jat leaders start 'jail bharo' movement
- PM Narendra Modi salutes 'Shramiks' hard work, determination on Labour Day
- Breathtaking! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' teaser 2 introduces Anushka Sharma as 'Aarfa' – Watch
- Centre declines to share info on bringing back Kohinoor