Cairo: Fourteen militants were killed and over 32 structures, including a tunnel between Rafah and Gaza, were destroyed by Egyptian security forces in restive North Sinai in the latest military operations.
The militants were killed yesterday in a fire exchange with the security forces in North Sinai, Egyptian army spokesperson Brigadier General Mohamed Samir said on Monday.
In the military operation, a dreaded militant named Suleiman Mohamed Sallem Salama was also arrested.
A field hospital and bomb workshop used by the militants were destroyed in the operation, the army spokesperson said.
In another operation on Saturday, four militants were held in Sheikh Zuweid and Rafah, 30 kilometers south of Gaza.
The security forces also destroyed a tunnel between Rafah and Gaza, he said in a statement today.
North Sinai has been the scene of many violent attacks by Islamist militants since January 2011 revolution that toppled former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
The attacks targeting police and military have increased after the ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi last year.
The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses that belong to terrorists, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.