Egyptian Army protecting Interior Ministry
Cairo: The Egyptian Army was guarding the deserted Interior Ministry headquarters in central Cairo on Sunday after officials were evacuated, an officer said.
"We secured the Interior Ministry this morning and evacuated state security personnel. The ministry is empty," an Army officer who did not want to be named at the site. "We`re here for as long as it takes."
Two armoured trucks and a tank stood guard outside. State security fought with protesters trying to attack the building on Saturday night.
More than 100 people have been killed in protests that erupted in Egypt over the past week against President Hosni Mubarak`s rule.
The Army is trying to restore order amid widespread looting after security forces withdrew from the streets following huge demonstrations last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days