Egyptian Army protecting Interior Ministry
Cairo: The Egyptian Army was guarding the deserted Interior Ministry headquarters in central Cairo on Sunday after officials were evacuated, an officer said.
"We secured the Interior Ministry this morning and evacuated state security personnel. The ministry is empty," an Army officer who did not want to be named at the site. "We`re here for as long as it takes."
Two armoured trucks and a tank stood guard outside. State security fought with protesters trying to attack the building on Saturday night.
More than 100 people have been killed in protests that erupted in Egypt over the past week against President Hosni Mubarak`s rule.
The Army is trying to restore order amid widespread looting after security forces withdrew from the streets following huge demonstrations last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic