Egyptian Army protecting Interior Ministry
Cairo: The Egyptian Army was guarding the deserted Interior Ministry headquarters in central Cairo on Sunday after officials were evacuated, an officer said.
"We secured the Interior Ministry this morning and evacuated state security personnel. The ministry is empty," an Army officer who did not want to be named at the site. "We`re here for as long as it takes."
Two armoured trucks and a tank stood guard outside. State security fought with protesters trying to attack the building on Saturday night.
More than 100 people have been killed in protests that erupted in Egypt over the past week against President Hosni Mubarak`s rule.
The Army is trying to restore order amid widespread looting after security forces withdrew from the streets following huge demonstrations last week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani