Egyptian arrested for sexually abusing maid at NY hotel
New York: Nearly two weeks after the
arrest of a former IMF chief over sexually abusing a maid in a
swanky Manhattan hotel, an Egyptian businessman was on Tuesday
arrested here on similar charges.
Mahmoud Abdel Salam Omar has been arrested for
allegedly locking a 44-year-old maid in his room at the Pierre
Hotel in Manhattan, which is owned by India`s Taj Hotels
Resorts and Palaces.
The New York Post cited police as saying that the
incident was strikingly similar to Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the
former chief of the IMF.
The 74-year-old Egyptian allegedly locked the maid in
his room on Sunday around 6 pm after requesting tissues be
delivered to his room. He grabbed her breasts and rubbed
against her, the paper quoted police as saying.
He was charged with sexual abuse, unlawful
imprisonment, forcible touching and harassment.
Omar is currently the board chairman of the El-Mex
Salines Co, a state-run salt production company, according to
his biography. He is also the former chairman of Egypt`s Bank
of Alexandria and he has also board chairman of the Egyptian
American Bank and chairman of the Federation of Egyptian
On May 18, Strauss-Kahn quit as the chief of the IMF
after he was charged with sexually assaulting a maid at a
different city hotel, Sofitel, near Times Square.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister