Egyptian arrested for sexually abusing maid at NY hotel
New York: Nearly two weeks after the
arrest of a former IMF chief over sexually abusing a maid in a
swanky Manhattan hotel, an Egyptian businessman was on Tuesday
arrested here on similar charges.
Mahmoud Abdel Salam Omar has been arrested for
allegedly locking a 44-year-old maid in his room at the Pierre
Hotel in Manhattan, which is owned by India`s Taj Hotels
Resorts and Palaces.
The New York Post cited police as saying that the
incident was strikingly similar to Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the
former chief of the IMF.
The 74-year-old Egyptian allegedly locked the maid in
his room on Sunday around 6 pm after requesting tissues be
delivered to his room. He grabbed her breasts and rubbed
against her, the paper quoted police as saying.
He was charged with sexual abuse, unlawful
imprisonment, forcible touching and harassment.
Omar is currently the board chairman of the El-Mex
Salines Co, a state-run salt production company, according to
his biography. He is also the former chairman of Egypt`s Bank
of Alexandria and he has also board chairman of the Egyptian
American Bank and chairman of the Federation of Egyptian
On May 18, Strauss-Kahn quit as the chief of the IMF
after he was charged with sexually assaulting a maid at a
different city hotel, Sofitel, near Times Square.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon