Egyptian authorities order arrest of former PM
Cairo: Egyptian authorities on Tuesday ordered the arrest of Hosni Mubarak`s last prime minister Ahmad Shafiq on corruption charges in a case involving the ousted leader`s two jailed sons.
Shafiq, a longtime friend of Mubarak who was the runner-up in Egypt`s presidential election in June to the Muslim Brotherhood`s Mohammed Morsi, is currently living in the United Arab Emirates.
Earlier, Egypt`s prosecutor general referred Shafiq to a criminal court on corruption charges related to his decision as minister of aviation to sell land owned by the ministry to Mubarak`s two sons Gamal and Alaa at a very low price.
Shafiq has repeatedly denied corruption allegation.
Gamal and Alaa are in custody and on trial in a separate case on charges of insider trading.
Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for almost three decades until his ouster last February, is serving a life sentence for failing to prevent the killing of protesters during the 18-day uprising that forced him to step down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP