Egyptian authorities order arrest of former PM
Cairo: Egyptian authorities on Tuesday ordered the arrest of Hosni Mubarak`s last prime minister Ahmad Shafiq on corruption charges in a case involving the ousted leader`s two jailed sons.
Shafiq, a longtime friend of Mubarak who was the runner-up in Egypt`s presidential election in June to the Muslim Brotherhood`s Mohammed Morsi, is currently living in the United Arab Emirates.
Earlier, Egypt`s prosecutor general referred Shafiq to a criminal court on corruption charges related to his decision as minister of aviation to sell land owned by the ministry to Mubarak`s two sons Gamal and Alaa at a very low price.
Shafiq has repeatedly denied corruption allegation.
Gamal and Alaa are in custody and on trial in a separate case on charges of insider trading.
Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for almost three decades until his ouster last February, is serving a life sentence for failing to prevent the killing of protesters during the 18-day uprising that forced him to step down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere