Egyptian authorities order arrest of former PM
Cairo: Egyptian authorities on Tuesday ordered the arrest of Hosni Mubarak`s last prime minister Ahmad Shafiq on corruption charges in a case involving the ousted leader`s two jailed sons.
Shafiq, a longtime friend of Mubarak who was the runner-up in Egypt`s presidential election in June to the Muslim Brotherhood`s Mohammed Morsi, is currently living in the United Arab Emirates.
Earlier, Egypt`s prosecutor general referred Shafiq to a criminal court on corruption charges related to his decision as minister of aviation to sell land owned by the ministry to Mubarak`s two sons Gamal and Alaa at a very low price.
Shafiq has repeatedly denied corruption allegation.
Gamal and Alaa are in custody and on trial in a separate case on charges of insider trading.
Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for almost three decades until his ouster last February, is serving a life sentence for failing to prevent the killing of protesters during the 18-day uprising that forced him to step down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead