Egyptian authorities order arrest of former PM
Cairo: Egyptian authorities on Tuesday ordered the arrest of Hosni Mubarak`s last prime minister Ahmad Shafiq on corruption charges in a case involving the ousted leader`s two jailed sons.
Shafiq, a longtime friend of Mubarak who was the runner-up in Egypt`s presidential election in June to the Muslim Brotherhood`s Mohammed Morsi, is currently living in the United Arab Emirates.
Earlier, Egypt`s prosecutor general referred Shafiq to a criminal court on corruption charges related to his decision as minister of aviation to sell land owned by the ministry to Mubarak`s two sons Gamal and Alaa at a very low price.
Shafiq has repeatedly denied corruption allegation.
Gamal and Alaa are in custody and on trial in a separate case on charges of insider trading.
Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for almost three decades until his ouster last February, is serving a life sentence for failing to prevent the killing of protesters during the 18-day uprising that forced him to step down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them