Egyptian caught urinating at Russian memorial
Moscow: Maximum punishment has been sought for an Egyptian national studying in Russia after he desecrated the Eternal Flame in the country by urinating on it.
The Egyptian, a 29-year-old postgraduate student at Volgograd Medical Univeristy, urinated on the Eternal Flame at the Heroes Alley in memory to the heroes of the Civil War (1917-1921) and the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945) in the Volgograd city on New Year`s night.
Vladimir Gutenev, a State Duma deputy and member of the ruling United Russia party, said the incident was "a blasphemy", adding that the act could not possibly be tolerated.
"I believe that a citizen of Egypt, a country with a very ancient culture… should be punished to the maximum extent of the law," Gutenev said, adding that it should serve as a warning to others.
The Egyptian, who was handed over to police by a group of people following a clash with a person, later said he was sorry and it happened after he drank too much alcohol with his Russian friends.
A city magistrate sentenced the Egyptian student to 10 days of administrative arrest for "petty hooliganism". But now is he facing more serious charges -- desecration of the grave and causing light bodily harm, which carries a prison sentence of up to five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon