Egyptian court rejects electoral reforms lawsuit
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 20:33
  
Cairo: An Egyptian court has rejected a lawsuit seeking thorough review of electoral reforms, including implementation of electronic vote counting system.

The Administrative Court for the State Council rejected the lawsuit that also called for removing the names of people who died, policemen and soldiers from the electoral register, according to state-run al-Ahram daily.

The lawsuit was filed by lawyers Mustafa Kamel, Wael Hamdi Al-Saeed and Ali Ayoub against the prime minister, minister of interior and the chairman of the Supreme Electoral Commission.

Ghada Shahbender of the Egyptian Organisation for Human Rights (EOHR) said she was disappointed by the verdict, adding it is an "indication that this is not a transparent system".

Shahbender said since the 2011 parliamentary elections, anybody over 18 years old and in possession of a national identification card is eligible to vote.

Previously citizens had to obtain voting cards and register separately. "In both cases EOHR has reported many violations on the register. The register is faulty and requires revision," said Shahbender.

"There are many documented incidents of non-eligible voters being on the register including people who are dead."

PTI


First Published: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 20:33


comments powered by Disqus