Egyptian ferry catches fire; 1,229 rescued
Cairo: A Jordanian man died while 1,229 passengers aboard an Egyptian ferry had a lucky escape on Thursday after the vessel caught fire near the Jordanian port of Aqaba in the Red Sea.
The fire broke out some 15 nautical miles from Aqaba on
Pella ferry, which is owned by Arab Bridge Maritime Company,
Chairman of the Red Sea Authority Abdel Kader Gaballah said.
A Jordanian man died after jumping from the burning
ferry. His body has been recovered by the rescue teams, local
media reports said.
The passengers, who were coming to this country from
Aqaba, were mainly Egyptian expatriates returning home from
Eighty per cent of the fire had been contained, Egypt`s
Transport Minister Ali Zein El Abidine said.
Some 813 passengers were safely moved to Nuweibah
port and the remaining are in the process of being
transferred, he said.
So far, the cause of the fire has not been determined,
the minister said.
Naval units came to the rescue of passengers who
escaped the fire on lifeboats. Some others just jumped into
the water to escape the fire.
A vessel was sent from Aqaba to rescue the passengers. A
giant ship from a naval base in South Sinai was also
Preliminary reports said the fire erupted in the vessel`s
garage that contained five trucks.
Egypt`s Red Sea port authority had received a distress
call from the ferry`s crew, following which military aircraft
were sent for the rescue operation.
Passengers on board the ferry were evacuated to small
lifeboats in order to carry them to Al Dora port on the
Jordan-Saudi Arabia border, Foreign Ministry spokesman Amr
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know