Egyptian initiative `real chance` to end Gaza crisis: Sisi
Cairo: President Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi today said the Egyptian ceasefire initiative is a "real chance" to end the crisis in the beseiged Gaza Strip, where Israel and Hamas are locked in an intense fighting for the past 26 days.
"The Egyptian proposal is the real chance to find a solution to the crisis in Gaza and to end the bloodshed," Sisi told reporters during a news conference attended by visiting Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi.
"We proposed the ceasefire initiative before the Israeli military started a ground offensive in the Gaza Strip and the number of deaths was much more less than today. The initiative is the way to end violence in Gaza," said Sisi.
When the latest Gaza clashes erupted last month, Egypt - the traditional broker in such conflicts - put together a truce plan, which was immediately backed by Israel, Arab governments, the US and the UN, but brushed off by Hamas.
Hamas accused Egypt of co-ordinating with Israel and bypassing the Palestinian movement when offering the proposal.
Sisi insisted that the Egyptian proposal could be the basis to launch negotiations between Israel and Hamas.
"Time is decisive, we have to take advantage of it quickly to douse the fire in the (Gaza) Strip... And to stop the bloodshed of Palestinians."
Sisi said it is the third time that there is Palestinian bloodshed, referring to earlier conflicts in 2008 and 2012. Italian Prime Minister Renzi, who is in Cairo on a brief visit in a show of support for Egyptian truce plan, said Egypt`s role is important to restore stability in the region.
"Italy supports the Egyptian ceasefire initiative as it is the only way to solve the crisis." "The world`s efforts to confront terrorism won`t succeed without Egypt`s help especially the efforts to end violence in Libya," said Renzi. A three-day truce that began yesterday morning collapsed later amid the apparent capture of an Israeli soldier by Hamas.
Today`s conference is considered to be the first since Sisi assumed Presidency in early June. Sisi said Egypt is regaining its power and will have more steps in the political and economical and security fields to regain this power.
"I want to say to Egyptians that they have to trust that the future is better, and there will be stability, security and rule of law," he said.
Sisi also asked Europe to trust Egypt, saying "do not look at us with European eyes only, but look at us also with Egyptian eyes to be able to see the real situation in Egypt."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp