Egyptian leftists denounce Constituent Assembly
Cairo: Egyptian protesters from the revolutionary and leftist political groups on Saturday demanded the dissolution of the Constituent Assembly for not representing all Egyptian communities.
Protest organisers include 15 different groups, including Revolutionary Socialists, the Free Front for Peaceful Change, the National Front for Justice and Democracy, among others.
In a joint statement, the groups said yesterday that they believe the Constituent Assembly that is tasked with drafting the country`s constitution does not represent all Egyptian communities.
They also demanded the dismissal of Interior Minister Ahmed Gamal Eddin and said he should be interrogated about actions taken against protesters on January 26, 2011, when he was head of the Assiut Security Department, as well as his use of force in breaking up recent sit-ins.
Kamal Khalil, the founder of the Workers and Peasants party, is among those demanding a new Constituent Assembly.
Khalil has also opposed what he called a "safe exit" to those who killed protesters and has called for the release of all political detainees.
He also demanded that the minimum amount for wages and pensions be adjusted to 1500 per month.
"Those who do not follow the goals of the revolution regarding social justice, do not release detained revolutionaries and are preparing to issue a new emergency law and laws restricting freedoms will not draft our constitution," Khalil told Al-Masry Al-Youm.
He said that the formation of the United Revolutionary Front, an alliance comprising all of the leftist and revolutionary parties, will be announced during demonstrations today.
The demonstrations were original scheduled for Friday, but were postponed after the Popular Current alliance, headed by Hamdeen Sabahi, held a conference yesterday declaring its establishment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know