Egyptian military deploys troops, tanks around Cairo
Cairo: Egyptian military on Thursday started deploying troops and tanks around the main establishments such as the central bank and the presidential palace in Cairo ahead of June 30 protests planned by the opposition to force the Islamist President Mohammed Mursi out.
Some of the tanks are located in the square of Rab`a al- Adawiyah in east Cairo where Islamists intend to stage massive protests on Friday in support of President Mursi, who would complete his one year in office this weekend.
Meanwhile, clashes between supporters and opponents of President Mursi today left at least one person dead and several others injured.
Rebellion campaign, which started three months ago by Egyptians to withdraw confidence from President Morsi, claims it has so far gathered more than 15 million signatures and therefore can strip him of his legitimacy.
They want to take to the street on June 30, the day Mursi would complete a year in power.
But the Islamists said they would fill the squares as of June 28 to abort the planned protests by opposition.
Officials said the military has been coordinating with Mursi`s government in the run-up to the protests, but activists say they are looking to the army for protection from hard-line government supporters.
Tension is building and clashes between supporters and opponents of the president are raging.
People have started stocking food stuff and gas as they become more anxious and panicky about coming days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Unsure if monetary policy panel to set rates in August: Raghuram Rajan
- German Bakery blast: Maha Govt. challenges Bombay HC order in SC
- Chinese woman gives birth to a baby girl from embryo frozen 18 years ago
- Spirituality helps you transform into a better human – Here’s how
- Mumbai architect receives Rs 5 crore extortion call from gangster Ravi Pujari