Egyptian minister arrested for groping in London
London: An Egyptian sports minister tried to claim diplomatic immunity after being arrested for groping a tourist while in London with his country`s paralympic delegation, the Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
Ebrahim Ahmed Khalil, 56, fondled the 21-year-old`s breast as he showed her where to pin a flag badge hours before Sunday`s closing ceremony.
After he was arrested, his embassy tried to claim diplomatic immunity. But the attempt failed and Khalil wept Tuesday as he was fined by magistrates, the newspaper said.
The case is an embarrassment for the Arab nation, whose athletes returned to Cairo Monday with 15 medals.
The assault took place hours before they joined other paralympians for Sunday`s closing ceremony at the Olympic Park.
Khalil, the junior minister for sport, targeted the woman outside the luxury Grange St Paul`s hotel in the City, where he had been staying for the Olympics and Paralympics.
Khalil was arrested in the hotel and spent two days in custody before appearing in court, according to the Mail.
Pic Courtesy: Kevin Dunnett/Central News
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say