Egyptian minister discusses nuke plant with IAEA chief
Cairo: Egypt`s Minister for Electricity
on Tuesday met visiting IAEA chief Yukiya Amano and discussed with
him the country`s first nuclear power-generating plant.
Electricity Minister Hassan Yunis discussed with the
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director-General
Egypt`s plans to establish its first nuclear power-generating
plant as also the country`s nuclear bill.
Egypt, which is one of the founding countries of the
atomic watchdog, has several joint scientific and technical
projects covering peaceful activities, including medical,
agricultural and environmental applications, with the IAEA,
the minister said.
The IAEA has also trained several Egyptian nuclear
experts in several fields, Yunis added.
He said Egypt also took up an important role in the
international organisation through sponsoring many projects
implemented by the IAEA in Africa that aim to promote the
peaceful use of nuclear technology in the continent.
Yunis said that Egypt also provides training necessary
for African experts and has four centers in Africa accredited
by the IAEA in the sector of nuclear applications, the
The Egyptian electricity sector has cooperated with
the IAEA with full transparency, Yunis said, noting that
experts from the international watchdog contributed to mapping
out the nuclear bill issued in March.
This is Amano`s first visit to Egypt as the IAEA
He also thanked the Egyptian government for its full
cooperation with the IAEA, and congratulated Cairo on the
issuance of the nuclear law.
The IAEA is fully supporting the steps Egypt took to
establish its nuclear programme, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!